2009-09-22

Ponta Delgada

So, yesterday I had a real evening out. In the late afternoon I went to Ponta Delgada, had a little walk around the city, and visited two churches. I didn't take photos of the surroundings as I was not very impressed. The city to me seems a bit ... how to put it ... (in German you would say "zusammengewürfelt") ... houses are very mixed in style. You have modern and ancient architecture one beside the other. Not in a nice way.
There was a big cruiser lying in the harbor yesterday and lots of folks roamed the streets.
Down at the harbor I visited an impressive Leonardo da Vinci exposition where I also took photos. What a fascinating person he must have been. I imagine him as some freakish geek (without being as disrespectful as it probably may sound). It is just that he did so much in only one lifetime that you would think it takes at least 10 people to produce as much work as he did.
I am standing in awe of his personality, an emotion which is according to Merriam-Webster "variously combining dread, veneration, and wonder". This definition hits the bullseye. In my case I would also add a dash of envy laced with a grain of jealousy, if you get what I mean.
Only one day in my life I would like to have his brain. Must be a constant thunderstorm of neurons, a flash lightning of neuronal activity. Nuff said.
Back to reality I wandered to the end of the pier and sat down in some bar called "Bar do Pi" where I had a couple of yummy beers called "Stark Bock". It may come from Sweden - just found a website showing a bottle of Stark Bock, apparently Swedish beer. That might be, as I always very much enjoyed Swedish "Öl".
After that I went to a restaurant at the same pier "100 Espinhas" - recommended to me by excellent tour guide Gary Travassos - and had a most deliciously grilled wreckfish along with a bottle of "Messias", a sparkling wine from the mainland. At 100 Espinhas you have a nice view at the harbor, the staff is very attentive, and fish, as mentioned, a real "yum-yum" :)

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post [Atom]

<< Startseite